The following are candidates for the 2018-2019 SMS PTSA Board:
President: Annemarie Venken
8th Grade: VP open
7th Grade VP: April Durrett
6th Grade VP: open
Direct Appeal VP: Angela Hixson
Membership VP: Amber Johnsen
Treasurer: Lisa Fourkas
Secretary: Kelli Cree
Auditor: Shannon Elarde
Please join us this coming Friday, March 23 for the Spring International Block Party as we celebrate the diverse cultures that make up Sunnyvale Middle School! This event aims to bring together SMS families to learn about the many cultures represented at our school. Get a taste of international culture, cuisine, and entertainment! Traditional dress is encouraged.
This year following countries are participating: Australia, Belarus, France, Belgium, Israel, China, India, Ireland, Japan, Romania, Russia, Taiwan, and Turkey, Mexico, and El Salvador.
3:30PM-5:00PM – Student dance (Gym)
5:30 PM-6:00PM – Student Awards (Gym)
6:00 PM – 7:30PM International Block Party (Quad)
This year the event will feature 13 countries as well as:
- Food samples from various countries/cultures provided by volunteers free of charge. If you have allergies, please check the ingredients before you sample!
Please bring your own plate/utensils to limit the amount of trash at the event (a limited number of plates/sporks/napkins will be available at the welcome booth)
Additional pizza, water, cotton candy & baked goods available for purchase (bring $$).
- Opportunity to buy the SMS cookbook ($25) at the welcome booth.
- Around the world scavenger hunt – students can pick up a passport at the welcome booth, collect stamps from each country booth then turn in the passport for a small prize. A drawing for 10 book prizes will also follow!
- An exhibit of flags from all around the world.
- Unique Virtual Reality experience provided by Exit Reality (available in the Gym 3:30 PM- 5:00 PM & 6:00PM-6:30PM)
HOW CAN YOU HELP? sign-up here (Parents and Students):
- music setup -we need audio equipment and an “international” DJ between 6PM-7:30PM
- canopies, tables and flag exhibit set-up– activity to start ~3:15 PM (students can help!)
- country booth volunteers & food donations: If you can bring food from one of the participating countries, or want to help at their booth, please e-mail email@example.com and we’ll put you in touch with the country’s ambassador.
- Alas no US booth…any last minute takers?
Thank you in advance for your participation and support- contact us with any questions or suggestions! -the SMS International Block Party team
Join us in celebrating Sunnyvale Middle School and our Community!
There will be a dance, academic and student recognition awards, SMS Athletic teams recognition, SMS band performance and the always popular PTSA Wine Pull.
The celebration runs from 3:30-7:30. See flyer for more details.
This year’s SMS PTSA Board Meeting schedule is posted. Do you wonder how the PTSA is making a difference in your child’s education? Do you want to have a say in what activities the PTSA sponsors? Come to a board meeting and find out about all the ways the PTSA is working for your children at SMS.
Meeting Schedule: PTSA Meeting Calendar 2017-2018
Did you know the PTSA sends out a weekly email to help parents know what is happening on campus each week? You can subscribe here.
The SMS PTSA websites admin team is meeting and should have updates flowing to the website (calendar, etc.) starting the week of 8/22. Stay tuned and looking forward to a great year at SMS!
Middle school is quite a change for most – no more walking your child onto campus and learning the style of just one teacher. Your children are more independent but that doesn’t mean our school can run without YOUR support. What can you do? DONATE!
How does your money help to Support Our Students? Here are just a few examples:
- Electives such as: Drama, Art and Woodshop
- Technology in the Classrooms
- Sound System
- Educational Field Trips
- After School Sport Uniforms and Equipment
- Homework Club
- Much, MUCH more
Please fill out the donation form and write a check today!